- Discover South Crete
- Explore the amazing nature inside the gorge
- Enjoy an easy and wonderful hike
- Swim in the crystal clear water of Libyan sea
- Visit the historical Sfakia village
If hiking the Samaria Gorge sounds like too much for you, then Crete comes up with another, easier option – the Imbros Gorge. Walking this 8 kilometre ravine is less strenuous but it’s still something special.
Imbros Gorge is the second most popular gorge on Crete after Samaria. It runs parallel to its “big sister” the Samaria Gorge for 11 kilometres and its narrowest part is just 1.60m wide. It takes around 2 to 3 hours to hike the gorge. The first half hour of walking is downhill through wildflower meadows with the gorge getting narrower along the way. After around 75 minutes you’ll find yourself in the narrowest, most spectacular spot of the gorge. The walls of the gorge are less than 2 meters apart and tower 300 meters above.
The legend tells that two brothers were banished from Imbros in Turkey and lived since then in the Imbros village, Crete. The Imbros Gorge mule trail was the only connection between Chania and Chora Sfakion, before the road was built. Remains of this trail can be still seen. The gorge witnessed an evacuation of several thousands of British soldiers during second World War before heading to Egypt.
The Imbros opens onto the sea at the village of Komitades, where we can relax over drinks at a restaurant before continuing to nearby village Chora Sfakion.
Our bus will pick you up from your hotel and after about 90 minutes drive, we arrive in the village of Imbros. By the entrance, in a nice café, we stop for optional coffee or local breakfast if you wish.
Then follows the walk through the gorge, guided from our license trekking guide, who is going to point you the native plants and give you more information about the whole area. After our walk through this spectacular path (about 3 hours), we arrive to the village Komitades, where you have the possibility to have lunch in a local tavern with view the magnificent Libyan sea. Follows a visit to the capital of the whole province, Chora Sfakion, where you can enjoy swimming by the Coast of Libyan Sea. Late in the afternoon, we return by our bus to your hotel.
What is included in this tour
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- English speaking mountain guide
- Air-conditioned bus transportation
What is not included in this tour
- Gratuities (optional)
- Entrance of the Gorge (2,5€)
- Meals – snacks
- Price per person: 35€
- Schedule: April to October Every Wednesday & Thrursday
- Location: Departures from Chania
- Duration: Approximately 9 hours
- Pick up times: Starting from 07:30 am. The exact pick up time depends on hotel location or meeting point.
Keep in mind:
- Proper footwear and socks
- Don’t carry heavy bags with you
- Wear comfortable shoes
- Bring a sun care cream with you
- Wear a hat
- Carry only a small bottle of water with you (there are many points to refill it inside the gorge)
- People facing health problems, or suffering from conditions affecting their lower extremities
- The elderly
- Pregnant women