- Visit the Maleme airfield from above and Tavronitis historical bridge
- Discover the battlegrounds of Galatas and Ayia prison valley
- War monuments around the area of the battle
- Explore the WWII exhibitions in small museums and secret shelters
- Visit the German and British Commonwealth war cemeteries
- Analytic details about the historical battle of Crete
- Small-group tour ensures a more relaxing and personal experience
[…]Turning to Student, the Fuhrer said quietly: “Of course, General you know that after Crete we shall never do another Airborne operation. The parachute arm is one that relies entirely on surprise. That surprise factor has now exhausted itself…the day of the Paratroops is over”.
Adolf Hitler, Wolfschanze July 1941…
The tour’s description will start from the beginning of WWII and how the greatest war that the world have ever seen, affected East-South Europe, Greece and Crete. There will be analytic descriptions about operation “Marita”, the glorious Greek-Italian war of 1940 and under what circumstances the operation “Mercury” began. The battle of Crete was one of the most important war theatres in WWII and the resistance played a very important role to revive the allied troops’ morale around the world.
In this tour you will have the chance to see the key-locations of the battle of Crete. A few kilometers from Chania, is Maleme, Tavronitis and Galatas where the tour starts. Analyzing extensively the battle, there will be a detailed schedule for the rest of our day. Some of the locations you will visit are the German and British Commonwealth war cemeteries, high spots to have panoramic views and understand everything about the battle on a live map, secret shelters and monuments.
The general historical facts of the battle of Crete are known. In this tour you will discover the original details and the unknown stories behind the scenes. You will have the chance to tour around the places where heroism and hope was a life goal for the Cretan partisans and the Greek , British, Australian and New Zeeland troops. The battle of Crete changed the world in many different ways and especially the evolution of the airborne warfare. Join us and explore the legendary and glorious WWII history of Crete.
What is included in this tour
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- English speaking, local driver/escort
- All entrance fees
- Snacks and bottled water per person
- Transport by air-conditioned minibus/minivan
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Small-group tour (up to 18pax)
What is not included in this tour
- Gratuities (optional)
- Schedule: All Year – Every Tuesday and Friday
- Location: Chania, Crete
*Available departures from all Cretan cities for private tours
- Duration: Approximately 6 hours
- Minimum participation: 2pax
- Maximum participation: 18pax
- Tour type: Small group tour (up to 18 pax)
*Note: There is availability for private tours upon request
- Available languages: English
- Pick-up times: 09:00-10:00 am
- Tour starts: 10:05 am
Terms & Conditions:
- The company reserves the right to make minor changes in the program when this is considered necessary, for example in case of unfavorable weather conditions. This can be done without prior notice.
- Reservations must be made 12 hours before the tour. A cancellation must be done 5 days before the tour for 50% refund. In case of later cancellations, no refund will be made from the company.
- If a tour is cancelled due to low participation or bad weather conditions, the company will refund 100% of made payments
- In case of allergies, tolerances or food preferences please inform the company in advance.
Create your Private Tour with Us:
Above mentioned prices are for group participation. If you wish to book your own tour only with your family or perhaps colleagues, we will be happy to give you prices and ideas for a memorable tour. Please don’t hesitate to contact us for a unique offer.