- Discover the religious heritage of Crete
- Explore the Akrotiri Peninsula
- Learn everything about the religious tradition of Crete
- Unique nature landscapes and architecture miracles
- Explore 3 monasteries in Akrotiri
- Walk through the mountain path to discover the cave of St John
- Visit the monastery of St George and the stone bridge
- Detailed descriptions and unknown stories
- Small group tour
- Chauffeured tour ensures a more relaxing and personal experience
The itinerary in the Akrotiri Peninsula will open a window to a spectacular nature populated by hermits and monks to a unique land exploited by great monasteries established in the Venetian period, which still dominate the area. Their history is associated with the history of the island. Their architecture reveals not only the fine taste of educated men, but also the relationships with the artistic trends of Renaissance Europe.
The first step in the itinerary will be to descend the “Saint’s George” and explore the abandoned Katholiko monastery an experience of a lifetime in the small « Kappadokya» of Crete. Following the steps of the pilgrims you will be able to discover the places in which the hermits decided to live in solitude, away from man, and to practice austerity and self-discipline in order to improve spiritually.
The next steps will bring you to the monasteries of Gouvernetou and Tzagarolon. There you will observe the collective life shared and practiced by the monks. In each case the individual story of the men in charge of the administration and the construction of the buildings will be told the special architectural features of the churches and the monastic complexes will be demonstrated; the importance of the artistic treasures kept within will be highlighted, and the role of the monasteries in various aspects of life in the past, but also nowadays -since they still constitute to function- will be discussed.
The final destination, the monastery of St. John the Almsgiver, will give you the opportunity to observe another model for organizing a monastic space, a way that should be connected with the particular history of the monastery and the origin of its first monks.
What is included in this tour
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- English speaking, local driver
- Certified archaeologist escort
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Light Snack & Bottled Water
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Small-group tour (up to 14 people)
What is not included in this tour.
- Gratuities (optional)
- Price per person: 87€
- Schedule: All Year Every Wednesday – Friday – Sunday
- Location: Chania, Crete
- Duration: Approximately 7 hours
- Pick up times: 08:00-08:30
- Tour Starts: 08:30
Terms & Conditions:
- The company reserves the right to make minor changes in the program when this is considered necessary, for example in case of unfavorable weather conditions. This can be done without prior notice.
- Reservations must be made 24 hours before the tour. A cancellation must be done 5 days before the tour. In case of later cancellations, no refund will be made from the company.
- If a tour is cancelled due to few participants or bad weather conditions, the company will refund 100% of made payments.
Create Your Private Tour with Us:
Above mentioned prices are for group participation. If you wish to book your own tour only with your family or perhaps colleagues, we will be happy to give you prices and ideas for a memorable tour. Please don’t hesitate to contact us for a unique offer.