- Visit the folklore museum of Apokoronas
- Learn everything about old traditional Cretan handcrafts
- Explore the villages of Apokoronas through amazing nature routes
- Discover the secrets of the Cretan spirit “Tsikoudia”/”Raki”
- Tour of a local distillery and “Raki” tasting
- Unique hidden monasteries and churches
- Visit a cheese factory and taste the local dairy products
- Taste the local bread and cookies in a traditional bakery
- Learn about the Cretan way of life
- Lunch at a traditional “Kafeneio” (small “meze” restaurant)
This is a tour of the unique area of Apokoronas, the East province of Chania region. The purpose of this tour is to introduce the visitors of this island the pure side of the Cretan mainland. Tour around the villages, meet the locals, taste delicious local product and learn everything of Crete’s history, culture and traditions.
Following a route through the nature and traditional Cretan villages you will arrive in Gavalochori village and visit the folklore museum of Apokoronas. The 7 rooms of it, will reveal everything about history, handcrafts and the everyday life of the people in the previous centuries.
Leaving Gavalochori, driving towards Vrises village you will stop by a traditional distillery. You will discover the secrets of the local spirit “Tsikoudia” or “Raki” and learn everything about its production. First you will tour around the traditional part of the distillery and then the facilities of the modern one. Tasting is following combined with delicious local products. The village of Emprosneros is following to see the theatre “Mikis Thodorakis and the hidden church of St. Antony, built on the rock. The experience of Cretan cheese-making process follows.. You visit a cheese factory and taste the local “Graviera” “Mizithra” or “Anthotiros” cheese varieties. You will also taste some olive oil on warm bread, cookies and Cretan biscuits in the local bakery.
After that you will enjoy lunch in a traditional “kafeneio” in Fres village, speaking with the locals and learning many things about the countryside way of life. You will have the chance to see the pure beauty and feel the real Crete around you. Apokoronas is one of the most historical places in Crete because of its people. This amazing province is waiting to reveal its secrets and ready to be explored by you!
What is included in this tour
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- Bottled water per person
- English speaking, local driver/escort
- Museum entrance fee
- All tours in distillery, cheese factory, bakery etc
- Cheese tasting
- Distillery fees
- Bakery fees & tastings
- Traditional Cretan lunch
- Transport by air-conditioned minibus/minivan
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Small-group tour (up to 18pax)
What is not included in this tour
- Gratuities (optional)
- Additional food and drinks
Price per person: 84€
- Children 2-6 years old: Free
- Children 7-12 years old: 55€
- Schedule: All year – Every Monday – Thursday – Saturday
- Location: Chania, Crete
*Available departures from all Cretan cities in private tours
- Duration: Approximately 6 hours
- Minimum participation: 2pax
- Maximum participation: 18pax
- Tour type: Small group tour
*Note: There is availability for private tours upon request
- Available languages: English
- Pick-up times: 08:40-10:00 am
- Tour starts: 10:15 am
Terms & Conditions:
- Raki/wine tasting is not allowed for children under 18 years old. Water or fresh orange juice will be offered instead.
- The company reserves the right to make minor changes in the program when this is considered necessary, for example in case of unfavorable weather conditions. This can be done without prior notice.
- Reservations must be made 12 hours before the tour. A cancellation must be done 5 days before the tour for 50% refund. In case of later cancellations, no refund will be made from the company.
- If a tour is canceled due to low participation or bad weather conditions, the company will refund 100% of made payments
- In case of allergies, tolerances or food preferences please inform the company in advance.