Food & Products tour of Chania mainland
- Discover the secrets of the Cretan products
- Increase your tasting memory and add new flavors in it
- Explore the mainland and the villages of Chania
- Visit small family businesses and meet the local producers
- Taste the Cretan olive oil, Raki, cheese, honey and a lot of other delicacies
- Explore a local olive mill, a distillery, a bakery and a cheese factory
- Analytic descriptions of goods production
- A day full of tastings and wonderful landscapes
- Learn about the history and culture of Crete
- Learn about the Cretan way of life
- Lunch at a traditional “Kafeneio” (small “meze” restaurant)
This will be an unforgettable tasting day for you and your friends exploring the mainland of Chania and discovering the non-touristic locations of Apokoronas province. In a few hours, you‘ll have the chance to meet the local producers and taste the pure and authentic delicacies of Crete.
The tour will start from a local olive mill where you will observe the olive oil production and learn the secrets of the finest quality of olive oil, the extra virgin one. Analytic descriptions will make you understand everything about olive oil form the harvesting to your palate. Gorgeous tastes and flavors. Then, leaving the olive mill, you will get in touch with “Tsikoudia” or “Raki” production, the most famous Cretan spirit by visiting a local distillery in traditional village. The tour of the old traditional distillery and the new professional one will give you an idea about “holy water’s” production and a tasting will follow of course.
Through an amazing route passing by villages of the province, you will arrive in the foothills of the White mountains. In the village of Embrosneros, you will first stop in a bakery to taste the local bread, cookies and biscuits and then to a traditional cheese factory. The secrets of “Graviera”, “Anthotiros” and “Mizithra” cheese will be revealed in front of your eyes. After the explanation of each cheese’s production, you will taste them combined with local honey and rusk (dry bread).
The last stop will be in a local coffee shop (“Kafeneio”) where the Cretans enjoying also meals. Incredible flavors and traditional recipes are waiting for you in the charming square of the village of Fres. This light lunch will introduce you a lot of elements of Cretan cuisine and gastronomy. People say that taste is our best sense. After this tour, your tasting memory will be increased and full of new flavors!!